Norwegian Refugee Council
Date : Sep-2019
NRC is implementing ABE Education project in Nugal and Bari Regions called ’Support to quality Alternative Basic Education (ABE) for children affected by displacement and returnees. The contributions to this project are funded by Norwegian Ministry of foreign Affairs (NMFA) which has contracted NRC to implement the project activities in the above named regions to achieve the project objectives and is for period of 12 months starting from Jan to December 2019. The overall objective of the project is that children and youth affected by displacement, including those hard to reach, access their right to education and training.
The target beneficiaries of this project include 2000 ABE students in Bari and Nugal region and 149 teachers and head teachers. The project aims to promote inclusive education and children right to education through advocacy and community mobilization campaigns and workshop so that the communities become fully aware the right of all children to access basic education.
One of the project main activities is to train ABE teachers and equip with basic knowledge and skills in methodology of teaching in the class rooms and improve their capacity.
Purpose of this TOR
The purpose of this TOR is to guide school based coaching and training for ABE teachers from the target schools in Nugal region under this project.
Objective of the training
- The Coaching intends to achieve the following objectives:
- To enhance teachers’ understanding on Student-centered teaching methodology and enable teachers’ adoptability to this methodology
- Enable the teachers the use of lesson plan and scheme of work
- Widen teachers’ understanding and use of positive disciplinary methods
- Equip teachers with the basic knowledge and skills in student’s assessment
- Enable teachers to use class management and control
- To improve the understanding of child protection
- To increase awareness on how to create a protective environment
- By the end of the training the teachers will be able to:
- Understand the importance of child participation in teaching/learning process
- Manage and handle effectively and efficiently teaching process in the targeted schools.
- Understand and appreciate the use of lesson plan and scheme of work
- Understand and appreciate the importance of positive disciplinary methods
- Understand the role of assessment in education and understand the various technique of student assessment
- Understand and class management and control
Nature of work
The trainer will conduct 24 days of school based coaching for 8 ABE teachers from the target schools in Nugal region on child center teaching methodology, class room management, knowledge of lesson plan and scheme of work. The trainer also identifies the gabs and the needs of the teachers in order to improve them
The training will be school based participatory approach so as to collect and share knowledge and skills on the aforementioned topics among the participants. The key methodologies to be used by the trainer include discussion, observation Brain storming, questioning and answering and presentation.
Duration of the training
The 24 days Training will be conducted in Garowe the exact date will be shared later on. The training will be on school based task.
Obligations of NRC
- prepare any logistical and administrative support needed for the training and by the trainer
- supervise the training proceedings and maintain daily attendance record
- Brief the trainer on the training, its expectation and share with him/her the
- pay the trainer’s facilitation fee
Obligation of the trainer
- Making necessary preparation for smooth running of the training programme based on the topics provided by NRC
- provide individual CV to NRC for verification on their skills and competence to carry out the task
- provide the timetable and methodology for the training to NRC prior to start of the training
- participate in briefings from the designated staff on the procedure on implementing the training, preparing the reports and any other requirement
- conduct 24 days of school based coaching in Garowe
- Ensure that the training achieves all the intended outputs as per TOR provided
Modalities of Payment
The trainer will be contracted for period of 24 days including preparation and report writing. The payment will be effected once he/she completes the training, submits the report and accepts by NRC.
The duty station of the trainer during this assignment will be in Garowe
Profile of the trainer
- A minimum of a Degree in education or social science
- extensive experience in Education and teachers training
- Experience of delivering training workshops
- Fluency in written and spoken English, plus good written and spoken Somali
- Strong report writing skill
Budget Break down /Budget line: SOFM1903/4690/1099777 NMFA
Expression of interest should be submitted copy of documents with support document before 4pm, on 9th October-2019 to NRC Puntland office in Garowe.