Website Ministry of Finance
Puntland State of Somalia
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Puntland State of Somalia (PSS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project – Phase II
PROJECT ID: P151492 Grant No.: TF-A0388
Assignment Title: Operationalizing of the Large Tax Payer’s Office Consultant
Reference No.: SO-MOF-PL-130106-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
The Puntland Ministry of finance is responsible for managing and controlling fiscal policy through formulation of tax and non-polices that aimed at generating domestic revenue and promoting investment, consumption and saving into state level government building. The Ministry has always been the custodian authority of all fiscal monitory policies, and laws, national policy, research in Puntland. Part of the grant proceeds will be applied towards the services of an Individual Consultant to provide technical assistance services in strengthening the Internal Audit Unit in Ministry of Finance function for Puntland State of Somalia and particularly strengthen the EAFS. Under the Public Financial Management (PFM) Project, the Government has secured additional financial resources from the World Bank to the original project and the components have been reorganized as follows: (i) Strengthening Tax Policy and Inland Revenue Administration Systems; (ii) Strengthening Capacity for PFM Control and Accountability; and (iii) PFM Reform Oversight, Coordination and Management.
The project development objective of the grant is to “strengthen systems of domestic revenue mobilization, expenditure control and accountability in the Federal Government, Puntland State of Somalia, and Somaliland”.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The objective of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to support organizational assessment of with particular focus on Large Tax Payer’s Office in the Minister of Finance of Puntland State of Somalia. The assessment will focus on review of mandates, functions, organizational structures, and staffing needs. Leadership of the Large Tax Payer’s Office in particular in the Minister of Finance will be taken through a visioning process to fashion out their vision, mission and value statements. The result of the assessment will facilitate the identification of critical and strategic structure, positions to be filled, and appropriate skills and personnel mix needed to perform assigned functions. The assignment will also develop policies and procedures for managing establishment ceilings and controlling the size and cost of the civil service of the Inland Revenue Departments in the Minister of Finance thereby improving government’s capacity to manage its domestic Revenue collection and all other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment that can be found at the following website: http://mofpuntland.com or can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail. The email address is: Procurement@mof.plstate.so
- Selection Criteria:
Selection shall be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Master’s degree preferably in organizational development, human resource management, strategic planning, public administration, business administration or closely related field.
- 7 years’ professional experience in tax administration or revenue policy with change management as core to assignments delivered including working with public sector institutions or Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience managing a Tax Administration which implemented LTO units.
- Demonstrated experience working with governments of developing countries including fragile and conflict-affected states. Experience working in Somalia is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated application of strategic planning and organization development tools in creating strategic organizations.
- Proven ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally, and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills ability to build consensus and good judgment in dealing with politically sensitive issues
- Duration: The assignment is expected to take 70 working days
- The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) and cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and revised in November 2017 and August 2018, (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations.
- Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the Ministry in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form in four (4) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 22nd December 2019 at 11:00 am (Garowe Time). Marked clearly a – Operationalizing of the Large Tax Payer’s Office Consultant
- Attention: Public Financial Management Reform Coordination Unit,
Ministry of Finance, Garowe, Puntland State of Somalia
Email: Email: Procurement@mof.plstate.so and copy email@example.com
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Procurement@mof.plstate.so