Ministry of Environment and Climate Change
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(Construction and rehabilitation works – Short listing of contractors)
National Competitive Bidding Number: PNTB/06/2018
ASSIGNMENT TITLE: CONSTRUCTION OF 5 EARTH DAMS AND REHABILITATION OF 10 DEGRADED RANGELANDS AND 25 BERKADS IN BURTINLE AND XARFO DISTRICTS IN PUNTLAND STATE OF SOMALIA
- BACKGROUND OF THE PROJECT
Drought in Somalia is becoming more frequent and more devastating. This is particularly so in Puntland which has experienced consecutive seasons of failed rainy seasons. The widespread shortage of water for human, livestock has led to increases in livestock deaths. Limited Water infrastructures in Puntland make the conditions of the rural communities vulnerable to droughts during the dry season when water is scarce and food is limited for both humans and livestock. Rural livelihoods become extremely difficult and experience malnutrition, disease and sometimes famine.
The primary need of these communities is water and pasture because they directly depend on livestock for their livelihood and survival. Water availability has decreased over the years and environmental problems such as land degradation, desertification and poor rangeland management practices have been witnessed.
To address the above issues, The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change will implement a 9 months project which is aimed at Strengthening resilience and preparedness to droughts of communities. The project will construct 5 earth dams, rehabilitate 25 Berkads and 10 degraded rangelands along the Jalam-Xarfo road.
The European Union (EU), the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), Puntland State of Somalia have made funds available for these rehabilitation and construction measures which will be implemented by the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change in collaboration with GIZ Sustainable Road Maintenance Project.
- SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change of the Puntland Government of Somalia invites eligible construction firms (“Contractors”) to an expression of interest in providing the above works. Interested contractors must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the works (proof of technical and financial capacity, relevant
- registration certificates, brochures, description and proof of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, and availability of appropriate skills).
The short-listing criteria are:
- Background of the contractor(s): summarizing their areas of expertise
- Proof of registration with relevant ministries within Puntland
- Organizational capability; financial capacity, construction equipment, Human Resources; Tax Clearance
- Years of experience of the construction company
- General and overall experience of the construction company;
- Relevant experience and summary of similar projects undertaken by the contractor with proven evidence
- Adequate staffing and availability of appropriate skills amongst staff.
- The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change now invites sealed Tenders from eligible contractors registered in Puntland for carrying out the [Construction of Earth Dams, Rehabilitation of Gully Erosion Structures and Berkads for Burtinle and Harfo Districts]
- A complete set of Tendering Document(s) can be obtained by the interested bidders at the Ministry’s Procurement Unit [upon payment of a non-refundable fee of USD 50 to Ministry of Environment and Climate Change AMAL Bank account No. 1011674785].
- Interested eligible applicants may obtain further information from the Ministry’s Procurement Unit Office by submitting written requests or by email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org from 9th October, 2018 to 22nd October, 2018inclusive except on public holidays.
- Further information can be obtained by sending email requests at the email address mentioned above. Expressions of interest in a written form of two (2) hard copies must be delivered (in person) through Tender Box at the Ministry by 22nd October, 2018, 12:00PM clearly marked as “Expression of Interest –Lot X. Tenders will be opened promptly thereafter in the presence of bidders’ representatives who choose to attend the opening at [Ministry of Environment’s Conference Hall, Garowe] on the same date of 22nd October, 2018.
Bids received after the stipulated date and time will not be accepted.
- Only bids from individual firms will be accepted, Joint ventures will not be considered.
- Bid from government owned entities will not be accepted.
- Only companies registered with Puntland State Authorities will be eligible.
|1. Construction of Earth Dams (60m*60m*3m)||1.1||Jalam||1||Contractors applying for this lot cannot submit applications for any other lot(s).
At the contract award stage, this lot will be awarded to 5 contractors in accordance with each location i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5
|2. Rehabilitation of Berkads||2.1||Jalam||5||Contractors applying for this lot cannot submit applications for any other lot(s).At the contract award stage, this lot will be awarded to two contractors in accordance with 2.1 and 2.2|
|3. Rehabilitation of Rangelands||3.1||Jalam||2||Contractors applying for this lot cannot submit applications for any other lot(s). At the contract award stage, this lot will be awarded to two contractors in accordance with 3.1 and 3.2|
NB: contractors can apply for ONLY one lot i.e. either (i) construction of earth dams or (ii) rehabilitation of Berkads or (iii) rehabilitation of rangelands
Ministry of Environment and Climate Change
Puntland State, Garowe
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com