NECSOM Technical Institute
NECSOM Technical Institute (NTI) is a non-profit technical institute that has been established by National Energy Corporation of Somalia (NECSOM) as an educational and technical institute to tackle the shortage of skilled technicians in Somalia. After seeing the shortage of skilled technicians due to lack of highly skilled trainers and highly equipped institutions, NECSOM has established NTI to cure this deficiency in its community and the country at large. The mission of NTI being become a leading Somalian learning organization that provides technical education and training using blended methodology for lifelong learning, customer-oriented services, high quality industrial solutions and pre university preparation studies, NTI requires a leadership with the right capability, competency and commitment to ensure its mission is achieved.
The objectives of NTI mainly focus on assisting the economic and cultural development of Somalia through applied knowledge. This will be achieved by:
- providing workforce development tailored to market needs by providing scientifically and practically qualified technicians able to work in the changing modern technology.
- establishing laboratories and specialized workshops (not only for training but also provide needed services to local business).
To realise the said objectives among others, NTI invites application for the Managing Director position. Under the guidance of the NTI Board of Directors, he/she will be responsible to oversee all higher-level operations in NTI, create a safe learning environment and set performance goals both for students and instructors and oversee the process so that set goals are attained.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- Lead NTI and perform duties of overall management as per the standards of academic institution management.
- Oversee day-to-day NTI operations
- Manage NTI logistics and budgets
- Set learning goals for students and instructors based on NTI curricula
- Monitor and report on instructors’ performance
- Present data from NTI performance to board members
- Research new resources and techniques to improve teaching
- Interview and hire NTI personnel and submit to the BOD.
- Review and implement NTI policies
- Provide guidance and counseling to instructors
- Handle emergencies and crises
- Organize NTI events and assemblies
- Ensure a safe and clean environment for students
- Attend conferences to gain knowledge on current educational trends
- Represent the internal and external meetings of NTI with donor agencies, stakeholders, private companies, and government institutions.
Qualifications Selection Criteria:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above. Capable to work in a team of. Highly professional international as well as national technical staff and administrative staff.
- Knowledge of technical school administrative processes and educational regulations.
- Hands-on experience with MS Office and education management systems.
- Attention to detail and ability to coach and inspire.
- A teaching license is preferred
- A University degree in Education, Engineering, or related fields; preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent.
- A solid professional background (10 years or more) in the domain of education and technical institutes.
- Very good knowledge of the educational context of Somalia, its issues, and opportunities and of the role played by the Somalia Private sector institutions, especially in relation to TVET.
- Very good analytical (Conducting surveys and data analysis), synthesis, and report writing skills.
- As a managerial-level international staff, the position requires strong analytical and problem- solving skills, and administrative management experience.
- Professional experience in multicultural and international environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- High proficiency in English language with excellent oral, written communication, and presentation skills. Somali will be an asset.
- The Managing Director will report to the Board of Directors of the institution.
The successful candidate will be located in Garowe, Puntland – Somalia where NTI is currently located. Offering internationally competitive compensation package in US dollars, this is a 2-year fixed term appointment with possibility of extension.
- Applications will be submitted electronically not later than Monday, September 20, 2021 to Abdiwahab Abshir Ibrahim (email@example.com).
- Application documents file will include: o Applicant’s CV o A cover letter specifying how the applicant is qualified to conduct the proposed position.