Website MINISTRY OF FINANCE
PUNTLAND STATE OF SOMALIA
MINISTRY OF FINANCE
SECOND PUBLIC FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT CAPACITY STRENGTHENING PROJECT
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
CONSULTANT SERVICES- INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT
Project ID: 151492
Assignment Title: Communication Specialist
Reference No: PSS/PFMII /ICS/ 2017/001
The Ministry of Finance of Puntland is implementing the PFM Project effectiveness requirement aimed to strengthen the capacity of the Government Institutions. The overall PFM reform objective of the Government is “to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of public financial management processes, and systems in order to provide timely, transparent and accurate financial information across the public sector to underpin policy formulation and inform Government decision making in support of service delivery”.
The reforms specifically aims to: Improve transparency and openness of the national budget process; Enhance fiscal discipline through internal and external controls; Focus public expenditure on priority areas of Government programs; Enhance efficiency and effectiveness of public expenditures; and Strengthen overall financial management and accountability.
The PFM reforms are anchored on four platforms: (i) instituting PFM fundamentals for budget credibility; (ii) effective budget execution and financial accountability; (iii) improved policy formulation, planning and budget preparation; and (iv) institutional structures; Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM); Financial Management Information Systems (FMIS); and cross-cutting issues.
- Overall objective of the consultancy
The objectives of the assignment is for the Project Communications Specialist (i) Design a communication and information management strategy, and oversee its implementation and monitoring and evaluation. (ii) Lead the project in developing an internal and external communication strategy aimed at increasing a general knowledge and interest in the project activities and informing stakeholders and wider audiences about the work of the project. (iii) Develop system for documentation and manage the internal flow of information (iv) to perform all necessary Communications activities under the Public Financial Management Project for the period of the assignment while coordinating the Communications functions with government counterparts located in the Ministry of Finance and other implementing Agencies (MDAs), and (vi) to provide technical assistance and build the capacity of Communications staff within the Ministry of Finance and implementing entities.
The PFM reform program will impact on many levels and aspects of financial management in the public sector. There will be a need to mobilize support for the reform and to proactively address reform resistance. Critical to this therefore is the need to deepen ownership of the PFM reforms; sensitize and create awareness internally amongst stakeholders within and outside of Government.
The Puntland State of Somalia desires to recruit a Consultant to work as Communication Consultant in PFM Unit, Ministry of Finance. The Consultant, under the Ministry of Finance and the PFM Reform Unit, will be responsible for integrating communications and outreach initiatives in activities as outlined in the PFM Communication Strategy. The main focus of the Consultant will be to design a communication and information management strategy, and oversee its implementation and monitoring and evaluation. The Consultant will also be expected to provide technical assistance and build the capacity of Communications staff within the Ministry of Finance and implementing entities.
3.0 Key Tasks The Consultant shall be responsible but not limited to the following tasks:
- Develop an appropriate and country-specific PFM Reform project communication strategy
- Manage and implement activities outlines in the PFM communication strategy and action plan.
- Support the production, dissemination of PFM accomplishments and messaging across government entities and stakeholder groups, including the international community, and facilitate national dialogue on local level.
- Identify opportunities to integrate and enhance communication between and with the government and local authorities to demonstrate cooperation and coordination in relation to community participation in PFM.
- Facilitate communication activities that bring the messages and accomplishments of PFM beyond the local level to a larger audience. S/he will encourage participation of country-wide officials and stakeholder representatives. Working closely with the PFM coordinator and other relevant actors within government, advice on capacity support towards effective communication.
- Develop and utilize a database of available media houses, reporters or media practitioners available for strategic communications related activities
- Support internal communications, situational awareness and other operational aspects of strategic communications within the PFM.
- Advise and assist the MOF and PFM team on coordination of effective and strategic communications.
- Duration of the assignment
The assignment is for an initial 6 months – period. The Communication Consultant will report to the PFM Coordinator and work closely with the Ministry of Finance to support overall coordination of strategic communications activities geared towards PFM initiatives.
The duty station is Garowe, Puntland
5.0 Qualifications, Experience and knowledge:
The Consultant is expected to have the following qualifications and experience as a minimum:
- Advanced university degree in a relevant subject or equivalent work experience;
- A minimum of five years of experience in the relevant field, including communication, media, etc.
- Experience in working with either the government, donor institutions, and UN at a senior level
- Experience and sound knowledge in strategic communications, advocacy; stakeholder mobilization; and capacity building
- Experience of project planning, implementation and the monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Possess excellent client and stakeholder management skills; and an ability to communicate succinctly and clearly
- Strong analytical, research skills including demonstrable & excellent writing and proof-reading skills and an ability to synthesize large reports into succinct and strategic memoranda
- Ability to express clearly and concisely, ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Proven skills in networking, advocacy and negotiation, especially with government counterparts
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, including the ability to manage priorities, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Computer skills, including Internet navigation, and various office applications.
- Experience working in a fragile environment will be an advantage
The Project Coordinator now invites eligible Individual consultants to express their interest in providing the services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services by submitting their expressions of interest (cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic certificates and any other relevant information.).
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (current edition).
Expression of interest must be delivered by in person or by mail, email to the address below by 5.00 pm 25th July 2017
Mr. Abdulkadir Ahmed Hashi
Public Financial management reform Unit
State Bank of Puntland Compound, Garowe
Ministry of Finance
Puntland State of Somalia.